It is so hard to believe that we have already been here for over three years. It feels like I just came here for my freshman year of college, but at the same time it feels like I've been here for a while. As I prepare to leave Loras, I have many questions going around my mind. I still don't know what is it that I will exactly be doing after I graduate but I think that I want to stay here in the US for about a year working in the graphic design field and then eventually move back home.
I am from Bogota, Colombia, a city with 8 million people; I love big cities so I want to move to a bigger city like Chicago. By being in a big city I know that I will be facing somethings that have a relation with Invisible Man. All of my life I grew up surrounded by many homeless people and after a while you tend to stop seeing them, they become invisible. I know that if I go to a big city I will have to face this situation more than what I do here in Dubuque (even though there are homeless here) and I will have to approach it in a different way.
Throughout my time at Loras, there have been some experiences that have helped me realize how indifferent I was towards the issue of homelessness. One of these experiences happened during my sophomore year when I had to make a documentary for one of my Media Studies classes. My partner and I decided to make a documentary on homelessness in Dubuque. Before we chose this subject I thought that there were no homeless people in a small city like Dubuque but then I learned that even though we don't see them on the streets like we do in cities like Chicago or New York, there are indeed homeless people here. I believe that at that time there were 122 homeless people but now I'm starting to forget the exact number.
I got the chance to meet some women who used to be homeless and were now living at the Maria House, which is a shelter for women and children. It was a great experience to meet them; I learned many things from them, especially that being homeless is something that can happen to anyone. One of the women that I met used to have what we would think of a 'normal' life; she had a husband, a job, a house. But then, all of the sudden her husband passed away and everything went downhill. She got depressed, lost everything she had, and eventually ended up on the streets. When I met her she was very excited that she had a job and everything was getting better for her. I learned from this experience, first of all that there are homeless people even in towns like Dubuque, and that we have to be aware of what is going on without pretending they are invisible.
Then another experience from which I have learned a lot was this summer when I was in Chicago. This summer I had an internship downtown Chicago and I would see homeless people all the time. Kate Flat was also there and she decided to instead of simply walk by them to stop and talk to them for a few minutes. This made me realize that once again I was starting to think of them as invisible because I started to walk by again without even looking.
This is the most important social issue I want to avoid throughout my entire life, I do not want to become one of those people who doesn't look around to see what is going on. I want to be able to not only see those who need help but I also want to help some way or another.
Suscribirse a:
Enviar comentarios (Atom)
1 comentario:
I really can't believe we are seniors either! It blows my mind to think about how fast time has flown by. I am the exact opposite of you-- I come from a itsy-bitsy town about an hour from Dubuque. Coming to Dubs, I wasn't quite sure what exactly to expect-- but I agree that what I found wasn't really what I had in mind either. it's so hard not to allow yourself to become indifferent towards many social issues when you feel that you as one person may not make a huge difference (I am completely guilty of this a LOT) The problem though, is that if everyone feels that way, who will step forward and demand change?
I think that it's really cool that you are planning on staying here for a little while after graduation. I still don't know how you can be so far from home-- I got homesick a ton, so I became a commuter :)
Publicar un comentario